Un article de GrandTerrier.
1 Fiche signalétique
Site Scarlet.be :
Sainte Tydfil de Glamorgan, Martyr
Mort vers 480. Sainte Tydfil, est une des filles du prolifique Saint Brychan de Brecknock (6 avril). Elle est vénérée à Merthyr-Tydfil, Glamorgan, Pays de Galles, où elle fut tuée par des païens (probablement des maraudeurs Pictes ou Saxons) (Bénédictins, Farmer).
Site Pembrokeshire / Merthy Tydfil :
Merthyr Tydfil, nestling in the north of the Taff Valley, owes its name to Tydful, the daughter of Brychan, Prince of Brychaniog, who was slain by the marauding Picts in the 5th Century at the Site of the Parish Church. Subsequently canonized, the site on which she was slain became known as Martyr Tudfyl (Merthyr Tydfil).
Site d'Alan George :
THE COAT OF ARMS AND SAINT TYDFIL
Upon becoming a Borough the Corporation commissioned one of the top Welsh artists of the day, Sir Goscombe John, R. A. to design a suitable Coat of Arms. (Goscombe John was fond of using traditional mythical heroic images and in 1906 he also designed the Fountain to the Pioneers of the South Wales Steam Coal Trade to celebrate the efforts of Robert and Lucy Thomas in the steam coal trade).
It was decided that the central figure of the coat of arms should be St Tydfil, as the whole parish is named after her and the original pre - industrial small town grew up around the church dedicated to her. The name Merthyr Tydfil means THE BURIAL PLACE OF TYDFIL. Legend has it that Tydfil was the daughter of a 5th Century Chieftain, Brychan, King of Breconshire. While visiting their sister Tanglwst in Aberfan,Tydfil and her family were massacred by a band of marauding Picts, who came over to Wales from Ireland. It is generally believed that she died on the site of the Parish Church, which bears her name, having defied the pagans and refused to give up Christianity. Tydfil had many brothers and sisters who became saints, including Saint Cynon. One of her brothers, Cadoc, became the Patron Saint of Brittany. Miracles happened around her grave and the shrine of St. Tydfil the Martyr soon became a place of Christian pilgrimage. In the Middle Ages a village grew up around the church. There was once a wooden statue in the church representing Tydfil which was probably carried out in a procession on her Saints Day on the 23rd of August. The Royal Charter was in fact formally granted only 6 days before the official Saints Day of Tydfil. This changed with the Protestant Reformation and the statue was possibly destroyed in the seventeenth century when Cromwell's troops were drinking in the inn near the church.
It is significant that, although Merthyr Tydfil became a major centre of nonconformity and had no Roman Catholics until the Irish came in 1815, the town never abandoned the Celtic Saint, Tydfil although very little is known about her. There are in fact very few British towns named after a female Saint and the association with Tydfil is very special.
The later Merthyr Tydfil First World War Memorial has in its centre the same mythological figure of St Tydfil together with the images of a working miner and a mother and child. All these figures are emblematic of sacrifice, St Tydfil was sacrificed for her religious beliefs, too often coal miners are sacrificed to the coal mining industry and mothers' always make sacrifices for their children.
The Borough Coat of Arms bears a likeness of St. Tydfil as the central motif. The heraldic description of the Borough Arms ( formally granted on the 17th August 1906), is as follows:-
'Azure a figure representing Saint Tydvil the Martyr, in Chief Two Crosses patee fitchee all Or'.
Tydfil is represented as a hard working saint because in her hands she has a distaff, which is used for spinning. The placing of the distaff as an important symbol in the coat of arms is chosen to signify industry and to represent he proud industrial history of the new Borough of Merthyr Tydfil. The daggers on either side of her head are meant to indicate the martyrdom and to remind us of how Tydfil met her death and that her life was a sacrifice to God.